List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Annotation support
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-27 17:42:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 16:31, Jens Herden wrote:
> > - Config XT: I'm not *sure* this is mandatory. Many application
> > still miss it, including KDevelop!
>
> Yes this is debateable, but to not have it because other don't have
> it is a pure argument.

I didn't say that we don't have it, contrary. I want it, but don't
consider to be a priority.

> > - KHotNewStuff: what is the problem here?? I no only that we need
> > to do the server side...
>
> Exactly! This renders the whole feature useless. How long do we have
> this in the code? Why do the users have to wait so long? I really
> don't get this.

The problem (from my point of view) is that we cannot upload as there is
no anonymous ftp or other methods available on kdewebdev.org.
This doesn't have to stop people to contribute as download works.

> > Is it really a problem with Quanta? If it's about concurent access
> > inside a team, one should use a versioning system.
>
> Agreed but I still don't see how the team features cooperate with
> CVS. You probably don't want to make a CVS update to get the latest
> message from you colleagues. I am missing the concept here.

Mostly integration. If you work at the same location, such messaging is
quite useless. If you work at different location, and especially in
different time-zones, usually only email or other kinds of messaging is
the only realistic way to communicate with other team members.
Of course you can do this in KMail and using distribution lists. But it
is better if we can do it integrated from Quanta. So I'm working on a
something, but have some concerns and want to notify others (now let's
say subproject leaders) and point it to the document(s) in question. I
can do this in KMail, but I it is much easier and doesn't interrupt the
workflow if for example you do:
- annotate the line(s)/document(s) in question and set it that the
comment goes for subproject leaders
Solution 1:
- as soon as a subproject leader updates the file in question, will get
the message
- a mail is send directly to subproject leaders

In both cases you don't have to switch to another application. Now the
question whether we can somehow reuse other KDE
code/library/application is another question. We might use KAddressBook
when setting up the team members for example. We could send a message
using KMail, if it's possible to script KMail's sending (I don't know)
and things like that.

> Oh, so the absence of discussion on the list did mislead me to the
> idea that the discussion does happen somewhere else. Sorry for the
> wrong assumption. I am happy if the list gets more discussion in the
> future.

Yes, the activity was low on the list due to Eric's and my busyness with
other things.

Andras