List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Annotation support
From:       Jens Herden <jens () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-04-26 9:05:53

Hi Eric,

your mail did help me to understand more, thanks.

I have very limited resources for Quanta in the moment. One of the reasons is
here (http://www.khmeros.info/drupal). This led me to set priorities. My
personal priorities are different from yours and as I never mentioned them I
will do it here now.

1. transition to KDevelop is my top priority. I will not work on the "old"
Quanta anymore because I really believe that KDevelop framework is the
future. In the moment I read and hear everything about Quanta with the idea
of how can this be integrated in KDevelop and how would it be usefull for
other languages there.

2. I will not work on team development if the groundwork is not done. That
means implementing some features that are missing, like integrated link
check, KWallet, Config XT, KHotNewStuff etc. This does also mean a clear
concept about what do we want to achieve with team development. Quanta misses
basic thinks like how to protect files from concurrent access. Until this is
not done, I am not interested in advanced features for team development.

3. I am not interested in reinventing the wheel. Creating our own solutions
for messages or to-do lists is a no-go for me. Integration into the KDE
desktop is the way to go. Why should I want to have messages in KMail and
Quanta, why should I want to have to-do lists in KOrganizer and Quanta? So we
could think about a bridge between KMail and Quanta and KOrganizer and
Quanta. I would think about how to display a folder from KMail in Quanta but
never how to create my own messaging system.

I am not against support for team development. But actually everything happens
in your mind and at private contacts with Andras so that I feel outside of
this development. I am confident that your ideas and mine will coexist when
we can use the KDevelop plugin system.

Jens