List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Annotation support
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-24 13:03:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 24 April 2005 15:52, Jens Herden wrote:
> Hi Andras,
>
> is the snow gone already?

Yes, it melted that day. Yesterday was cold as well (1-2 C), today is
better and as I heard the +20C grades will return. But in the higher
mountains (70km from here) you can still ski and also in the nearby
smaller ones there is snow.

> > What we can do is create a structure for annotations for structure
> > like the one for Functions, Variables.
>
> Yes, this was exactly my first idea. But what I really meant here is
> to think about splitting the structure tree. As you said it can be
> quite huge and it might make usability better if we move everything
> out that is not a tree. I imagine a widget like in the documentation
> of KDevelop (I have no idea what the name is stacked tabs?).

Toolbox I believe. That's also a solution, but that makes it impossible
to look at structure tree and annotations the same time, so it's mostly
useful in cases when having both does not make sense.

> One tab
> for functions one for variables and one for annotations
I'm not sure that some don't want to see functions and variables the
same time.

> Yes, Kate does fold away multiline comments, but my idea was in the
> direction of if Quanta can control this in some way. I meant if
> Quanta knows that there is a comment in line 5 to 10 Quanta could
> fold this away so that comments are per default hidden. But this is
> probably something we should discuss with the Kate developers.

Yes, they have a KTextEditor mailing list (I'm not yet subscribed) where
we can discuss what would we need from there.

> Creating an option to fold away comments.

O simply telling the KTextEditor that the lines between 10-20 can be
folded and I (the application) wants them to be folded.

> > Right, but we introduce the same problem of editing the file
> > outside of Quanta that we solved with the commented @annotation.
>
> Until the background parser gets this file and updated the
> information :-)

I don't see how the background parser would help in the case when
somebody modifies a file outside of Quanta. I like better the infile
comments once you opened my eyes.

> I am already thinking about KDevelop and there different plugins have
> different subtrees in the config DOM tree. If we want to make this a
> plugin we have to be sure that it saves everything independent of the
> rest.
That's also not a problem, I think. One more file to be read, but
otherwise that's OK. Now it came to my mind that KDevelop should be
carefully verified if it supports remote projects or storing of plugin
configuration data or not.

> > Doing that was only some lines of code, no UI file involved.
>
> I did not mean your effort or the lines of code. What I mean is the
> workflow. It is probably a matter of taste but I feel interrupted by
> a dialog. If I can just type in the textfile, I prefere this. And we
> would save a menu entry in the context menu ;-)

My original idea was a "floating" widget, but that's not so different of
a dialog compared to a workflow, but a little more cooler.

Andras