List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Annotation support
From:       Jens Herden <jens () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-04-24 12:52:25

Hi Andras,

is the snow gone already?

> > Right, maybe the structure tree is not a good place. Maybe we should
> > think about removing everything from the structure tree that has no
> > real tree structure. Link the links, functions etc. these are simple
> > lists and could better find another representation in the GUI than a
> > tree.
>
> What we can do is create a structure for annotations for structure like
> the one for Functions, Variables.

Yes, this was exactly my first idea. But what I really meant here is to think
about splitting the structure tree. As you said it can be quite huge and it
might make usability better if we move everything out that is not a tree. I
imagine a widget like in the documentation of KDevelop (I have no idea what
the name is stacked tabs?). One tab for functions one for variables and one
for annotations.

> > > The problem is that in most languages comments can be one or
> > > multiline. In case of multiline comments hiding may be possible,
> > > for one line comments I'm not sure it even makes sense.
> >
> > For oneliner it does not make sense at all since you need one line to
> > unfold it again. Is there a codefolding interface so that Quanta
> > could fold the comments away?
>
> No, codefolding in Kate is controlled by the syntax highlighting XML
> files. But I think Kate already folds multiline isn't it so? Seems so
> for CPP and HTML.

Yes, Kate does fold away multiline comments, but my idea was in the direction
of if Quanta can control this in some way. I meant if Quanta knows that there
is a comment in line 5 to 10 Quanta could fold this away so that comments are
per default hidden. But this is probably something we should discuss with the
Kate developers. Creating an option to fold away comments.

> The session file is not shared between the users, so this clearly goes
> to the project file. I don't know why I wrote that question in the
> parentheses.

Good that you are clear :-) And I agree to this.

> > I wonder if we should store the annotation itself there not a
> > reference. This would mean more data in the file but no need to
> > rescan the files on startup to show the global annotation list.
>
> Right, but we introduce the same problem of editing the file outside of
> Quanta that we solved with the commented @annotation.

Until the background parser gets this file and updated the information :-)

> > Please store also the files that have no annotation inside, so that
> > you will not scan them again and again because they are not in the
> > list.
>
> That's not a problem. It can be even integrated with the standard list
> of files inside the project.

I am already thinking about KDevelop and there different plugins have
different subtrees in the config DOM tree. If we want to make this a plugin
we have to be sure that it saves everything independent of the rest.

> > > - On startup only the files from the project not under
> > > <annotations> or those having a different timestamp than stored
> > > there are scanned.
> >
> > If you create a background parser this is good. Maybe this is the
> > point where you want to get involved in programming with threads?
>
> I started once, but aborted soon. :-) Maybe we can do it together here?

I would love to do so.

> > > - editing of the annotations can be done either by entering the
> > > comment manually or editing in the annotations view. I'm not sure
> > > if in this case we need the context menu entry or not.
> >
> > I rather would not create a new dialog for this.
>
> Doing that was only some lines of code, no UI file involved.

I did not mean your effort or the lines of code. What I mean is the workflow.
It is probably a matter of taste but I feel interrupted by a dialog. If I can
just type in the textfile, I prefere this. And we would save a menu entry in
the context menu ;-)

Jens