List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    [quanta-devel] Annotation support
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-22 13:53:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

 I've talked a little with Eric about annotation support in Quanta. This
means you can assign comments to documents (to specific lines in the
documents). The comments can be browsed in a new toolview.
Now I implemented this. The current implementation should be taken as an
alpha, as it has known issues I will list below.
So what it can do is:
- in the editor context menu there is an Annotate entry that can be used
to enter annotation text
- the text is saved in an XML file called filename.annotation
- every line that has an annotation will have a "stamp" mark in the icon
border.
- there is a new Annotations view (again the icon is a stamp, do you
have better idea?) which has 3 tabs:
 Current file: lists the annotations in the current file
 All files: lists the annotations (with the comment text as well) for
all files from the project
 Annotated files: a list of files which have annotations in the project
- double-clicking on an item brings you to the file/line where the
annotation is (except for the 3rd tab, where will bring you to the
file, but line 1)
- should work for local and remote projects as well

Issues:
- annotations can be deleted only if you edit them and remove the text
in the annotation editor. I will either put a Clear button to the
editor or offer some other way to remove an annotation.
- switching in the annotation view to All files/Annotated files can be
slow for large or remote projects as all the files are rescanned. This
will be improved.
- the annotation view is a little stupid, as it uses the standard
Messages output widget. So the context menus should be improved, and
the filename/line information as well. I want to add Edit/Remove
Annotation to the menu for Current File and All files tabs.
- it *may* leave some quanta* temporary files in /tmp/kde-username, so
please test it.

Ideas, comments are welcome. Eric, what do you think? How should we
continue? You told me about some kind of integration with team support
and event actions, so please explain when you have time.

Andras