List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    [quanta-devel] Ideas for VPL
From:       Paulo Moura Guedes <moura () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-04-06 15:45:24

Hi,

One of the thinks I always missed in WYSIWYG editors in general was lack of
control. I always end up editing the source directly.
In order to workaround this limitation I have some ideas that I would like to
share, that go in a sense of directly manipulating the structure of the
document.

The document structure pane would be a building block in VPL edition (and who
knows also in source?). For example, it would allow a precise selection of
the nodes which is impossible to do in the VPL view. We could implement a
shortcut to this, like shift - 2 clicks and 3 clicks (this in VPL view) that
would select a node and all nodes at the level of the clicked node,
respectively (I know Jens doesn't like standard double clicking as one can't
tell the limits of a word :p).
We should also allow other operations in the document structure pane like
drag&drop (in the pane itself and to the VPL view also) with options like
copy, move and cancel; removal of selected nodes and the insertion of tags
(like in the toolbars) as child or next sibling of the current node of the
document structure.

The document structure should be showed by default when VPL mode is selected,
as it would be a fulcrum part of all the process. It should also be made more
easy and intuitive to look at, by presenting the user options like using an
icon instead of the tag text and setting a description, tag text,  icon; the
option of setting the visible depth of the tree and some other things that an
artist mind will surely think of.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome.
--
Paulo Moura Guedes