List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Class autocompletion - a new era
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-22 10:44:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 22 February 2005 12:25, Eric Laffoon wrote:
> On Monday 21 February 2005 11:06 pm, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > On Tuesday 22 February 2005 00:29, Eric Laffoon wrote:
> > > I tried this without reading the above with one of my files and
> > > obviously it's a no go.
> >
> > What is the problem with it?
>
> I have to write more XML than PHP to use it? ;-)

I mean is there a case when it doesn't recognized the
classes/methods/functions defined in your included files? the XML tag
files are not needed, in case of inclusion quanta should parse and find
classes in the included files, altough I tested only with the example I
posted here.

> No, let's whack the parser! :-O
>
> Okay... this leaves an obvious question. What supplemental tools
> could we offer? The irony here is that I'm sure you could come up
> with something faster than I could write a supplemental parser from
> scratch using PHP which I'm most familiar with.

Once the parser is self-contained and can be compiled alone (or in a
library) we can offer a C++ application which generates the tag files.
And provide it for download.

> So everything aside, silly question... any idea how we might address
> this? Could we take the parser code after the release and try a small
> stand alone app from it and then re-integrate this functionality into
> the parser for another release?

Yes, this is what I'm talking about. ;-)

> We did talk about adding this... The
> alternative is to evaluate the specific syntax for objects and create
> a mini parser for that which would not be too terrible to do as a
> script. The question is what compromise could we offer that is better
> than requiring a manual XML edit? Any?

I think we could, but it will not be integrated in Quanta 3.4.

Andras