List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    [quanta-devel] [Quanta] Quanta/XML editor/win32
From:       "dominique.papin" <dominique.papin () infodia ! fr>
Date:       2005-02-21 15:49:29

Since my first post was not in plain text, the thread is a bit confused
then i post again and make a little summary

Here is my first post :

dominique.papin wrote:

> hello,
>
> Let me first tell you "bravo" for the great developement here in
> quanta/kdewebdev.
>
> this weekend, I was looking carefully at your soft and his features.
> these are really close
> to my needs. After a try tour and reading all docs I could find, I'm
> starving of information.
> Not as a user but as a developper. That's why I post to this list.
>
> I have to deliver an XML editor with basically  three views all
> synchronized :
>
> * a DOM-tree view
> * a source view
> * a VPL view
>
> Quanta seems to fit well with this. Plus, it is tied with xmllint to
> validate, it has an attribute widget, etc., all of that also required
> for my editor.
> It would be a choice  for us to base our dev on quanta.
>
> But as there is always a but, two big questions are left :
>
> 1. Quanta is available on linux but based on kdelibs. And kdelibs are
> in the process to be ported to win32 [1] . Kexi a high-level app
> has even already been ported to win32 with the kate part. What do
> the core developpers of Quanta think about the work needed to also
> port Quanta to win32 ? Which kdelibs Quanta depends on ? I need a
> win32 port and would be glad to work on it if developpers feel
> it's a realistic task.
> 2.   How does precisely VPL works ? As for now, VPL is available only
> for HTML/XHTML. Would it be possible to extend the VPL support to
> some new XML/DTD couple ? And, how ?
>
> Maybe, I missed some developper docs and if so excuse me for the asking
> and point me please to the docs.
>
> A+ dominique
>
> [1] kdelibs for win32
> <http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDElibs+for+win32>

As for win32 Andras replied :

> I think the current answer is: we don't work on win32 port, possibly
> will not work in the near future, but do not oppose if somebody wants
> to do it, if the port itself doesn't cause problems on other platforms.
> Right now it (should be) possible to run Quanta on win32 with the help
> of the cygwin KDE port (kde-cygwin.sf.net, IIRC).
> The fact is that we don't use Windows, and I certainly don't want to
> develop under Windows, unless I'm forced to.  ;-)
>

> The latest stable Quanta (3.3.2) requires kdelibs 3.2 or 3.3. The next
> version (3.4) will require kdelibs 3.3 or kdelibs 3.4. The latter is
> recommended.

I replied that

> > > Sadly, win32 is mandatory for me.
> > > I'd prefer to use the native kdelibs port (as i have a windows qt license) \
> > > rather than the kde/cygwin port. see \
> > > http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDElibs+for+win32 I think it will be \
> > > more efficient.  Could you tell me more details about which
> > > kdelibs/kdebase modules are used by quanta ? - kdecore/dcop/kio
> > > - kdeui
> > > - kparts/kate part
> > > - others ??

Andras quotes how Quanta depends on kdelibs

> It is hard to say. It certainly uses:
> - kdecore
> - kdeui
> - kparts
> - the kate part
> - kabc
> - kdeprint (through the kate part)
> - khtml
> - kio
> - kspell
> - kmdi
> - dcop
>
> The listed above might require other kdelibs parts, so I can only say
> that we require kdelibs... kdebase is not required, at least nothing is
> required from there to compile and run Quanta. Other requirements are
> listed in kdewebdev/PACKAGING.

the state of kdelibs for win32 shows that some kdelibs have already been
ported to win32. Mainly khtml and kdeprint are missing today. And that
could be a task for me.

Andras also answered about VPL :

> VPL uses a special mode, called "caret mode" of the KHTML browser part
> from kdelibs. This means that it's tied to KHTML and it can basicly
> work only with DTDs supported by KHTML. Maybe Pualo, who works on the
> VPL these times, can give you more details.
>

> > > Maybe, I missed some developper docs and if so excuse me for the
> > > asking and point me please to the docs.
>

> There are not so many developer docs. In the sources you can find:
> kdewebdev/quanta/DESIGN: short description of the Quanta classes
> kdewebdev/quanta/HACKING: some rules for code
> contributorskdewebdev/quanta/parts/kafkaDESIGN: short description of
> the VPL design. I  don't know how accurate, detailed and up-to-date is.
>
> Andras

As for VPL, I'll be glad to here more about the KHTML editing features.

A+ dominique