List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    [quanta-devel] Re: [Quanta] Quanta/XML editor/win32
From:       "dominique.papin" <dominique.papin () infodia ! fr>
Date:       2005-02-21 14:14:23

[Attachment #2 (text/html)]

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Andras Mantia wrote
    <pre wrap="">But as there is always a but, two big questions are left :

   1. Quanta is available on linux but based on kdelibs. And kdelibs
are in the process to be ported to win32 [1] . Kexi a high-level app
has even already been ported to win32 with the kate part. What do the
core developpers of Quanta think about the work needed to also port
Quanta to win32 ?
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
I think the current answer is: we don't work on win32 port, possibly
will not work in the near future, but do not oppose if somebody wants
to do it, if the port itself doesn't cause problems on other platforms.
Right now it (should be) possible to run Quanta on win32 with the help
of the cygwin KDE port (kde-cygwin.sf.net, IIRC).
 The fact is that we don't use Windows, and I certainly don't want to
develop under Windows, unless I'm forced to. ;-)

  </pre>
Sadly, win32 is mandatory for me. <br>
I'd prefer to use the native kdelibs port (as i have a windows qt
license) rather than the kde/cygwin port. <br>
I think it will be more efficient. <br>
  <pre wrap=""></pre>
    <pre wrap="">Which kdelibs Quanta depends on ? I need a win32
port and would be glad to work on it if developpers feel it's a
realistic task.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->The latest stable Quanta (3.3.2) requires kdelibs 3.2 or 3.3. The next
version (3.4) will require kdelibs 3.3 or kdelibs 3.4. The latter is
recommended.

  </pre>
As a result, Could you tell me more details about which kdelibs/kdebase
modules are used by quanta ?<br>
- kdecore/dcop/kio<br>
- kdeui<br>
- kparts/kate part<br>
- others ??<br>
in order to compare to the list of modules already ported to win32.<br>
  <pre wrap=""></pre>
    <pre wrap="">   2.   How does precisely VPL works ? As for now, VPL is available
only for HTML/XHTML. Would it be possible to extend the VPL support
to some new XML/DTD couple ? And, how ?
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
VPL uses a special mode, called "caret mode" of the KHTML browser part
from kdelibs. This means that it's tied to KHTML and it can basicly
work only with DTDs supported by KHTML. Maybe Pualo, who works on the
VPL these times, can give you more details.
  </pre>
I'll be glad to hear more.<br>
A+ dominique <br>
PS : this thread stated within quanta user list but Andreas gave me the
address of the devel list on his first reply. And this one better suits
with devel. As a result, i also post my reply to the devel list.<br>