List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Development issues
From:       John Culleton <John () wexfordpress ! com>
Date:       2015-01-20 21:17:59

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 20:59:21 -0800
Eric Laffoon <eric@kdewebdev.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I saw some emails come across and realized I
> had this account hooked up to the Quanta list.
>
> I'm sure everyone knows that Quanta did not get
> updated to KDE 4. It was actually quite a long
> ways towards it. One issue was the decision to
> utilize the advantages of KDevelop. Having seen
> it severely lag on getting up on KDE 3 I had
> concerns, but given all the information and
> assurances I decided to go with it. Sure enough
> it was late. That wasn't really the problem,
> but it came at a time when things began to
> unravel for the project.
>
> I wanted to continue to manage the project but
> a number of issues with my business took up my
> time. Since there there have been even more
> issues, including having to find a new farm for
> Kitty Hooch. On the bright side, after so many
> years of difficulty, I am finally about to
> realize my big dream which will give me the
> time and money to do the things I want. I just
> have to get through the next few months. I'm
> remarried and much happier too. Especially
> since now I know where all my money is.
>
> Along with developing Quanta I also developed
> Kommander. Since I have been active I have
> continued to enhance Kommander for my use. I
> run my businesses with it. I have developed
> huge applications with it and realize two
> things. 1) It's incredibly fast to develop
> with, a tiny fraction the time it takes in C++
> 2) It's perfect for many peripheral functions
> in Quanta Because it is so easy to develop with
> it would also make extending an application
> rather easy. I'm talking with a gentleman who
> wants to use it for his project involving
> engineering use of fasteners and may get some
> cooperation and funding.
>
> As always it comes down to buying time. If,
> don't you love that word, I had the time I
> would certainly want to update Quanta.
> Presently I think I can give it some touch up,
> but I'd like to do KDE4 and KDE5 versions.
>
> The thing for me is Quanta is already pretty
> useful. Kommander seriously needs to be
> overhauled to run my business with. A new
> version would be able to run native KDE, as
> well as on Mac and Windows and deploy on
> mobile. An update of Quanta would do likewise.
> Wouldn't it be nice to run Quanta on an Android
> tablet?
>
> Anyway I did a horrible failure of a
> Kickstarter project with Kommander as my first
> learning experience. I need to re-connect with
> the community. I plan in a few weeks to attempt
> to fund my time to code this on Indigogo.
>
> I don't know if people here get why I want to
> do Kommander first, but it will end up being a
> big part of the functionality of Quanta. Andras
> has much of the parser done and the framework
> was close to ready. A KDE 4 version is not so
> difficult. I will be doing the new Kommander
> tool development using the Qt 5x Creator as a
> plugin platform. While it makes sense to use
> KDevelop for the KDE 4 version the KDE 5
> version may be Creator based too.

> [...]
I gave up on Quanta years ago. The last useful
version for me came with KDE 3.5 For a while I
maintained an old version of Slackware just to
get at Quanta Plus as it existed in its glory
days. But html kept changing and the old
Quanta didn't keep up.

There are reasons I guess to have a multi-language
IDE like the current Quanta. But I much prefer an
editor dedicated to web pages alone and with two
windows: one for source and one for the web
view of that source. The unix model has always
been single purpose programs and not the boy scout
knife approach.

My next web page will be written in svg using
Inkscape. My current pages are maintained using
Gvim.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press