List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Development issues
From:       Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-01-18 6:53:11

Eric, so good to hear from you.

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 8:59 PM, Eric Laffoon <eric@kdewebdev.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I saw some emails come across and realized I had this account hooked up to the
> Quanta list.
>
> I'm sure everyone knows that Quanta did not get updated to KDE 4. It was
> actually quite a long ways towards it. One issue was the decision to utilize
> the advantages of KDevelop. Having seen it severely lag on getting up on KDE
> 3 I had concerns, but given all the information and assurances I decided to
> go with it. Sure enough it was late. That wasn't really the problem, but it
> came at a time when things began to unravel for the project.
>
> I wanted to continue to manage the project but a number of issues with my
> business took up my time. Since there there have been even more issues,
> including having to find a new farm for Kitty Hooch. On the bright side,
> after so many years of difficulty, I am finally about to realize my big dream
> which will give me the time and money to do the things I want. I just have to
> get through the next few months. I'm remarried and much happier too.
> Especially since now I know where all my money is.
>
> Along with developing Quanta I also developed Kommander. Since I have been
> active I have continued to enhance Kommander for my use. I run my businesses
> with it. I have developed huge applications with it and realize two things.
> 1) It's incredibly fast to develop with, a tiny fraction the time it takes in
> C++
> 2) It's perfect for many peripheral functions in Quanta
> Because it is so easy to develop with it would also make extending an
> application rather easy. I'm talking with a gentleman who wants to use it for
> his project involving engineering use of fasteners and may get some
> cooperation and funding.
>
> As always it comes down to buying time. If, don't you love that word, I had
> the time I would certainly want to update Quanta. Presently I think I can
> give it some touch up, but I'd like to do KDE4 and KDE5 versions.
>
> The thing for me is Quanta is already pretty useful. Kommander seriously needs
> to be overhauled to run my business with. A new version would be able to run
> native KDE, as well as on Mac and Windows and deploy on mobile. An update of
> Quanta would do likewise. Wouldn't it be nice to run Quanta on an Android
> tablet?
>
> Anyway I did a horrible failure of a Kickstarter project with Kommander as my
> first learning experience. I need to re-connect with the community. I plan in
> a few weeks to attempt to fund my time to code this on Indigogo.
>
> I don't know if people here get why I want to do Kommander first, but it will
> end up being a big part of the functionality of Quanta. Andras has much of
> the parser done and the framework was close to ready. A KDE 4 version is not
> so difficult. I will be doing the new Kommander tool development using the Qt
> 5x Creator as a plugin platform. While it makes sense to use KDevelop for the
> [...]

Since quanta has been not progressing for years, not many are still on
the list, I think. Please post to the KDE-community list about coming
back; people have missed you.[1]

And perhaps KDE-devel or KDE-core-devel would be the best place to
discuss the resumed development of quanta and Kommander.[2,3]

Sysadmin will be happy to hear about kdewebdev being supported again
as well. Perhaps write to KDE-www about that?[4]

Again, it is really good to see you active again.

Valorie