List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] successors to Quanta+
From:       marbux <marbux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-06-19 14:11:40

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 4:49 AM,  <to@2nova.net> wrote:

> Beside Aptana I found another good program - Komodo -
> which I also test in my kde4 o.suse-12.1:
> http://www.activestate.com/komodo-edit

> Are there more experiences from others in this list in
> comparison between these competitors, which to prefer
> as successor to Quanta+? Any proposals?

I tested Komodo 1-2 years ago. I liked the GUI and features, but it
was so bug-ridden that I experienced frequent data loss and lots of
crashes. It also was very slow when loading. It may be that I just
tested a bad release and the critical bugs are fixed now, but were I
to test again, the major issue I'd be watching would be trouble-free
use.

I also have not checked for about a year or so on the present state of
the proprietary fork of Quanta, Quanta Gold.
<http://www.thekompany.com/products/quanta/>. The last time I checked,
it was still pretty immature compared to GPL Quanta. But it might be
the one I eventually switch to, particularly given that it now runs
not only on Linux but also on OS X and Windows.

Thus far, I've found no Linux alternative to Quanta that scratches
most of my itches, It's a crying shame; the far and away best web
development editor I ever found on any platform is now abandonware.
(Longer rant omitted about the collective insanity of the KDE
development community in the last few years. But I boycott any
software that has a KDE Plasma dependency).

Best regards to all,

Paul