List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta 4.0 projections
From:       Milian Wolff <mail () milianw ! de>
Date:       2010-08-14 21:51:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Werner Joss, 14.08.2010:
> Am Saturday 14 August 2010 14:43:27 schrieb John Culleton:
> > What would be the difficulties with taking the last 3.5 version and
> > recompiling it for KDE4 without functional changes?
>
> these are not only difficulties, but is just impossible.
> at least in the sense, that 'compiling for kde4' means using the kde4
> infrastructure (kdebase, kdelibs, qt4...).
> the only possibility so far for 3.5 is installing all necessary kde3/qt3
> stuff alongside the kde4 packages.
> this is how most distros still support quanta 3.5 these days.
> many of them (e.g. kubuntu) do a rather bad job with this, as essential
> components (namely kioslaves) are omitted, thus leaving quanta 3.5
> crippeled. sad, but true.

In addition to that we would end up again with an unmaintainable application.
Quanta 3 had only one developer who didn't even do any webdevelopment related
stuff (Andras). With Quanta 4 we reuse lots of code from KDevelop via
Kdevplatform which is a huge gain but requires a bit more work.

Still I bet it's worth it in the long run.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff
mail@milianw.de