List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta 4 - it is alive!
From:       marbux <marbux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-07-09 22:21:49

Hello, Milian,

Thank you for your work on Quanta+. I've found no other HTML editor
that comes close so have been dreading the day I would no longer be
able to use it.

UTF-8 without BOM character encoding, HTML Tidy integration, and the
ability to produce accessible HTML documents are mission critical for
me as a software documentation writer. Tidy integration doesn't need
to be done the way it was before, but hopefully would be as
user-friendly as it was.

Tidy integration is now broken on KDE 4, at least on my system. The
small Quanta pane that displays the current line for editing markup
with issues that Tidy spots displays only the very tops of characters
on one line, not enough to read the line.

I've asked for work-around suggestions on this list but no joy without
using another app in conjunction with Quanta, e.g., the Firefox HTML
Tidy extension. Where most other editors I've tried fall down is that
their line numbering doesn't agree with Tidy's.

On the accessibility front, you might spend a bit of time with the W3C
Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines (ATAG) 2.0 last call working
draft published yesterday. <http://www.w3.org/TR/ATAG20/>. Quanta
clearly falls within its definition of an "authoring tool" and the
previous W3C Web Accessibility Guidelines quickly found their way into
recognition as legal requirements.

The advantage is that the document's conformance clauses provide
fairly objective benchmarks for accessibility features. A good portion
of the conformance clauses are susceptible to automated testing.

As a last call working draft, I would not expect major changes in the
final recommendation. However, the link provided above is for the
latest version, so should access the final recommendation when it is
adopted.

Accessibility markup is very important to me. The U.N. Convention on
the Rights of Persons with Disabilities recently went into effect and
stepped up accessibility regulatory action is already occurring. E.g.,
the U.S. government in effect just banned usage of software (including
its documentation) that is inaccessible by any U.S. college or
university. <http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-20100629.html>.

So the less work it is for me to produce valid and accessible HTML
documents with UTF-8 character encoding, the better.

Best regards,

Paul E. ("Marbux") Merrell, J.D.

--
Universal Interoperability Council