List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta]
From:       John Culleton <john () wexfordpress ! com>
Date:       2010-04-13 14:59:48

On Wednesday 10 February 2010 04:02:41 Philip Payne wrote:
> Quanta3 is dead; ?..
>
> I am using 3.5.9 with Lenny/gnome2.22.3 .it works perfect!
>  incuding php scripts html css etc...
> "php include" function whatever...
>
> IMO I would look elsewhere for a bug
>
> Phil
>
> Le mercredi 10 février 2010 à 07:51 +0100, Niko Sams a écrit :
> > On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 23:21, Ron Brogden <slave@codegrunt.com> wrote:
> > > Howdy folks.  I have searched quite a but to find an answer to the
> >
> > following
> >
> > > questions but if this is covered in a FAQ or bug post somewhere
> >
> > please let me
> >
> > > know where and I will keep the signal to noise ration down.
> > >
> > > I am currently running Kubuntu 9.10 which means Quanta 3.5.10 under
> >
> > KDE 4.
> >
> > > I use Quanta mainly for PHP based web development and I recently
> >
> > picked up
> >
> > > some work modding an existing codebase.  As is my usual process,
> >
> > after
> >
> > > downloading a site backup I created a new project and then rescanned
> >
> > the
> >
> > > working directory to create the initial file listing.  Upon opening
> >
> > one of the
> >
> > > site files,  Quanta got as far as showing the initial script content
> > > (highlighted) and then promptly crashed.
> > >
> > > After some tedious trial and error I believe I have isolated the
> >
> > file that
> >
> > > causes the crash.  The behaviour though is strange.
> > >
> > > I can open the problematic file itself ("functions.php") and not
> >
> > have Quanta
> >
> > > crash.  However, it will crash if I create a file that includes it -
> >
> > so the
> >
> > > following code crashes Quanta:
> > >
> > > <?php
> > >
> > > include 'functions.php';
> > >
> > > ?>
> > >
> > > If I run Quanta from the command line I get no useful details
> >
> > (presumably at
> >
> > > least partially because of the distro's choice of compile options
> >
> > and KDE4 not
> >
> > > being fully baked):
> > >
> > > $ quanta logEdit.php
> > > kbuildsycoca running...
> > > DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
> > > KCrash: Application 'quanta' crashing...
> > > Could not find 'drkonqi' executable.
> > > KCrash cannot reach kdeinit, launching directly.
> > >
> > > I tried viewing functions.php in a hex editor to see if there was
> >
> > any
> >
> > > character set details in the file but it appears to be 7 bit ASCII
> >
> > as far I can
> >
> > > see.  vi set to show non printing characters also shows nothing
> >
> > unusual.  The
> >
> > > code in it is not pretty but is syntactically OK as far as PHP is
> >
> > concerned
> >
> > > (php -l gives no errors).
> > >
> > > In any case, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do here to
> >
> > try to find
> >
> > > the source of the problem and fix it?
> > >
> > > As a workaround, is there any way to stop Quanta from processing PHP

> [...]

I continue to keep Quanta on my Slack 12.1 partition. None of the stopgaps
suggested, Kate and Kdevelop match it.  But rebooting every time I need to
change a page is a pain.

However Amaya is looking better and better to me . It allows for dynamic
views of both source code and the web page, just like Quanta. Therefore I
think I will use it for my next web page update.

If a KDE4 friendly version of Quanta doesn't appear soon it may be
irrelevant when it does appear.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"