List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta crash upon PHP file open when including
From:       Niko Sams <niko.sams () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-02-10 6:51:56

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 23:21, Ron Brogden <slave@codegrunt.com> wrote:
> Howdy folks.  I have searched quite a but to find an answer to the following
> questions but if this is covered in a FAQ or bug post somewhere please let me
> know where and I will keep the signal to noise ration down.
>
> I am currently running Kubuntu 9.10 which means Quanta 3.5.10 under KDE 4.
>
> I use Quanta mainly for PHP based web development and I recently picked up
> some work modding an existing codebase.  As is my usual process, after
> downloading a site backup I created a new project and then rescanned the
> working directory to create the initial file listing.  Upon opening one of the
> site files,  Quanta got as far as showing the initial script content
> (highlighted) and then promptly crashed.
>
> After some tedious trial and error I believe I have isolated the file that
> causes the crash.  The behaviour though is strange.
>
> I can open the problematic file itself ("functions.php") and not have Quanta
> crash.  However, it will crash if I create a file that includes it - so the
> following code crashes Quanta:
>
> <?php
>
> include 'functions.php';
>
> ?>
>
> If I run Quanta from the command line I get no useful details (presumably at
> least partially because of the distro's choice of compile options and KDE4 not
> being fully baked):
>
> $ quanta logEdit.php
> kbuildsycoca running...
> DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
> KCrash: Application 'quanta' crashing...
> Could not find 'drkonqi' executable.
> KCrash cannot reach kdeinit, launching directly.
>
> I tried viewing functions.php in a hex editor to see if there was any
> character set details in the file but it appears to be 7 bit ASCII as far I can
> see.  vi set to show non printing characters also shows nothing unusual.  The
> code in it is not pretty but is syntactically OK as far as PHP is concerned
> (php -l gives no errors).
>
> In any case, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do here to try to find
> the source of the problem and fix it?
>
> As a workaround, is there any way to stop Quanta from processing PHP file
> includes without losing code high lighting?
>
> Any assistance much appreciated.

Quanta3 is dead; it's very unlikely that someone will fix your bug.
Unfortunately Quanta4 is not
yet alive - but there is another option - use KDevelop4 with Php
support - that is working pretty good
and the php features are much more advanced than for Quanta3.
See this post: http://nikosams.blogspot.com/2009/11/web-development-and-kde4.html

Ah, and a stupid workaround for you could be:
> include '' . 'functions.php';
But that sucks because you have to change your code just because of a
crashy editor...

Niko