List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Who wants to move Quanta forward?
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-12-07 8:03:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Werner,

On Sunday 06 December 2009, Werner Joss wrote:
> as some of you might know, I've been a longtime quanta supporter
>  (mainly in terms of sponsoring) and I'm still using it as my
>  favorite web/php dev tool. unfortunately, the development model with
>  sponsored work mainly from Andras, did not work out in the long run,
>  as obviously community support/sponsoring was too small/inconsistent
>  for even generating a small regular income for Andras to make a
>  living from.

This far from being your (as supporters) fault, it is a complex
situation that lead to this. Yes, indeed it seems from sponsorship it
isn't possible to pay for a developer full time, at least not in some
parts of the world. That's why I wanted to make it clear, that even if
we get support, this won't mean a payment that you can live from, and
there is no long run guarantee. It is more a stimulant.

>  more. but, if e.g. someone could be found to work on quanta4 for a
>  limited time until it is usable as a native kde4 application, and

That is the most challenging, but thanks to this call, I already got
some development offers as well. I plan to write a mail about what needs
to be done, my ideas about it. Unfortunately I can't do coding, only
some kind of mentoring. But if the developers became addicted to it and
enjoy the codewriting, there is no need for more. :) I know that, and if
you look at most parts of KDE, it is developed like that.
 But if they won't like, or no developer will start to work for real,
then no money can push this forward. Well, probably there is a certain
amount of money that would go, but not community support money.

>  needs some sponsoring to be able to do so, I will surely step up to
>  contribute.
> count on me.

Thank you,
Andras