List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Kubuntu 9.10
From:       marbux <marbux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-02 8:15:59

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 4:04 PM, James Ellis <james.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Quanta + KDE4 works completely well, you just have to remember that Quanta
> is a KDE3 app and to install Qt3 libraries etc (aptitude search libqt3 for
> starters on the shell).

This might be my showstopper Quanta issue on KDE 4.3 if the 3.5x
dependencies aren't in the Ubuntu Main repository for Ubuntu 9.04. But
see below.

> Personally, I think the move to get Quanta4 going as a web oriented version
> of Kdevelop4 is a great idea as it doesn't mean reinventing the wheel. The
> benefits of using Qt4 Webkit should be seen as a good example for doing this
> (think previews)

Webkit is going to be great if the ports ever get synchronized. But
they aren't, so different ports produce different results. We need a
Webkit standard.

> The KDE developers have made it pretty clear that KDE3.5 will still be
> around if you want to use it -- you just have to find a distro that will
> support it.

And that will support the other software that you need. I'll hazard a
guess that keeping all of the above running on the same distro runs
into issues at some faily near point in the future as other apps
update. I take it that development on Quanta 3.x is at or near the
end?

For me, I see KDE4 as a huge improvement both technically and in
> the UI/desktop.

I was about 20 pages into a rant in response, but thought better of
it. If you love it, use it, but there's a snowball's chance in Hell of
me coming around to your opinion. :-) I've already made my decision;
this user isn't riding along with KDE 4.

May you enjoy your journey.

Best regards,

Paul

--