List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Syncing server with local directory
From:       James Ellis <james.ellis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-14 12:00:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Ian,

Not sure about Quanta integration - I doubt anything new will be developed
for Quanta3 so that would leave a plugin for Quanta4 when it becomes stable.
Integration with CVS is nowhere near a good trade off against the benefits
of a better VCS. Nearly every developer I know has been in CVS hell at some
stage - if you are going to learn a VCS then I strongly recommend starting
with something that properly supports branching. There's quite a good
discussion of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8 (need a
spare 70 mins, it's worth it).

Regarding GUIs, Bazaar Explorer is a good choice and it's based on Qt4 so it
has decent KDE integration (https://launchpad.net/bzr-explorer). There are a
couple of GUIs for SVN - kdesvn is one I think ? I'm pretty sure there is a
GUI for Git as well, given it's starting to be used more and more.

Personally, I prefer the shell, but that's just me.

Re: renaming files - no, a version control system should never alter files,
just store the differences between revisions and other meta data and allow
you to share you revisions with other members of your team, via merging.

Thanks
James