List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Project upload: sync with server?
From:       Michael Friendly <friendly () yorku ! ca>
Date:       2009-09-23 21:33:12

I'm just getting started with Quanta and am trying to figure how to
manage my workflow in uploading recently modified files from my local
project to those on my remote server.

In the past, I used rsync in shell scripts to be assured that (a) only
local files newer than those on the server would be uploaded (b) I could
exclude certain local files and folders (*~, *.bak, Private/, Test/,
...) from the sync/upload process.

In the Quanta Upload Project Files dialog, I see that once uploaded,
local files and folders are no longer automatically selected, but I'm
not clear on whether this is based only on Quanta's record of what I
uploaded and when, or if it is based on comparing timestamps and
file contents as rsync does.

e.g., if I have a developer doing some work for me on one branch of the
project tree, I want to make sure that my upload from Quanta doesn't
clobber his work.  Similarly, I'm not sure what would happen if I upload
a modified file with some application other than Quanta.

I know I can mark selected files as uploaded, but I need to understand
how Quanta works in the scenario I described.

thanks,
-Michael

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.