List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Using FTP without Projects ?
From:       "Mark A. Taff" <mark () marktaff ! com>
Date:       2009-05-26 6:51:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 4:17 PM, James Ellis <james.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thinking laterally.. the bazaar version control system (bazaar-vcs.org)
> has a
> decent plugin called "upload". Basically it connects to a dumb server (i.e
> ftp) and uploads only the changed files in your project automatically with
> one
> command.
> I use it for the projects that only have ftp access. It (like other FTP
> management processes) is not so good if you work in teams as there is still
> the chance to overwrite other team members work (if you work in teams then
> you
> are better off sticking with merging/pulling via SSH within a release
> management system).
>
> For my FTP only projects, the steps are:
> 1. Edit, save etc ... in quanta of course ;)
> 2. bzr add and bzr  commit my changes on the shell
> 3. bzr upload to the dev site
> 4. testing on dev
> 5. bzr upload to the live site.

I use Subversion, as it has a nice interface both on the command line, and
via KDESVN.  Also, I am sure Quanta4 will have built in support for SVN, and
probably git as well, since git is growing in popularity amongst KDE
developers.

I almost exclusively work alone, and even so, I won't write any code without
a version control system.  I even keep everything I write for college in the
Subversion repository.  It make it easy to work on things from any computer.

--Mark