List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Using FTP without Projects ?
From:       James Ellis <james.ellis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-05-25 23:17:30

Hi

Thinking laterally.. the bazaar version control system (bazaar-vcs.org) has a
decent plugin called "upload". Basically it connects to a dumb server (i.e
ftp) and uploads only the changed files in your project automatically with one
command.
I use it for the projects that only have ftp access. It (like other FTP
management processes) is not so good if you work in teams as there is still
the chance to overwrite other team members work (if you work in teams then you
are better off sticking with merging/pulling via SSH within a release
management system).

For my FTP only projects, the steps are:
1. Edit, save etc ... in quanta of course ;)
2. bzr add and bzr  commit my changes on the shell
3. bzr upload to the dev site
4. testing on dev
5. bzr upload to the live site.

Basically bzr upload takes the pain out of having to cherry pick your changed
files manually and the chance of missing files in the upload.
My FTP only customers all use 3rd party hosting and using bzr upload has cut
the operating cost of dealing with their sites updates by about 90% ( I don't
even open FTP network folders any more... what are they again ? )

HTH
James