List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] initial assistance please
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2009-03-31 22:28:26

On Sunday 29 March 2009 06:06:13 am Ian Smith wrote:
> I suspect that may be the case with OpenSuse 11.2 as well, as they have
> said that 11.1 will be the last version to support KDE3.5.
>
> Just a thought - perhaps we could start a lobbying campaign to get the
> likes of Novel, Canonical etc to support development of Quanta for KDE4.
>
> Unless Quanta works well in the latest opensuse release, I'll be staying
> put with 11.1 and/or looking around for another distro, and I suspect there
> would be many in the same position.
>
> I guess we'll have to wait until opensuse 11.2 hits beta stage to find out,
> and of course, Novel have been laying off staff, so their resources would
> already be stretched.
>
> On the other hand, they like to promote opensuse as *the* distro for KDE,
> and an OS/DE  without a decent wysiwyg web development tool would be an
> embarrassing situation.
>
> Anyway, it's just a thought ...
>
> Ian

Don't let me stand in your way. Look how much work Andras did as a sponsored
developer. If I had real support I could certainly make it work. I have been
buried in internal software for my business for the last three months. The end
of the year is the traditional buying time and I was busy then. Now ironically
I have almost whittled everything off my list except for FLOSS development.
Business wise it's getting a handle on the huge complexity of our operation
and being consistent in ramping up our markets.

Because SLOCcount does not count Kommander script I built a quick little
program last night to parse our the XML, comments and blank lines and yield
the actual lines of code. I had rebuilt my system and I got SVN up and running
after a lag. I distribute my application automatically with scripts this way.
Anyway since I started SVN on Feb 17th I have written 8930 lines of code. I
have been busy and I have been programming more than ever. This does not
include PHP and C++ I've written this year or my push from early January until
I restarted SVN.

To put this in perspective Quanta 3.5 is 63,654 lines of code and Quanta 4 is
presently 23,462 lines of code. I'm finding Quanta 4 more usable lately too.

So I really have whittled my do list down to a nubbin. Kommander and Quanta
are next after a few things get done on my web site. Keep in mind the basic
framework for Quanta runs. Webkit in Qt 4.5 is coming along nicely and enables
a whole new way of looking at visual development. As I've said before there is
really no such thing as WYSIWYG in HTML. One need only have several computers
with different browsers/versions/operating systems to see that.

If anyone has any information on entities willing to get behind us let me
know. . What I know is even though I haven't done much with this project for
some time it has sat before and I brought it back. If anyone has the will and
the devotion it is me... Although I welcome anyone who wants to help.There
will be a Quanta 4 release 3rd or 4th quarter. It's just a matter of logistics
now.

Eric

> 2009/3/28 Mantia Andras <amantia@kde.org>
>
> > On Saturday 28 March 2009, Eric Laffoon wrote:
> > > KDE4 has a KDE 3 compatibility mode. That's all you need, just load
> > > Quanta 3.5.x. kdebase 3x is only if you want to run the desktop.
> >
> > That's true in general, but unfortunately not for (K)Ubuntu, as they
> > simply do not package some of the KDE 3.x applications and libraries
> > anymore. The most famous issue is fish:// and sftp:// not working,
> > because the required kioslaves are not available.
> >  Might be the same case with Cervisia and KImageMapEditor, I don't know,
> > as I don't run Kubuntu.
> >
> > Andras

Eric Laffoon
kdewebdev project founder