List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Dangerous "feature?"
From:       Bobby <bobby () d4business ! com>
Date:       2009-02-20 13:53:27

On Thursday 19 February 2009 10:26:34 Andras Mantia wrote:

> Sorry, you probably misunderstood you. The DEFAULT behavior is to ASK

No,I didn't. :) My point is that deleting a programming must never be done
that easily. I know he turned off the verify earlier... It's easy to blame
the user. But we as programmers know more than they do. That makes it our
responsibility to ensure they win.

> The professional solution is to use a version management system. Quanta
> itself shouldn't do everything, IMO.

Version control systems still require backups. Quanta does not have to make
the backups. But it can make it harder to delete a file and have something
easily integrated which helps backups. May that be rsync or whatever.

Software should go out of it's way to cover the user from stupid mistakes that
cost him time and money.

> > Quanta is a tool. The more it can do for us the better it is.
>
> Yes, but it is the best to use together with other tools. ;)
>
> Andras

Look at it this way. If you can install an IDE that has the option to also
automatically cover version control and backup or one that does not...

True, it does mean more work for the developers. But that has nothing to do
with works best. How many people here do you think have accidentally deleted
program files? The ones who never got a backup procedure in place kick
themselves. Bet most of them still did not install one. Man is by nature
lazy, I know I am.

Therefor I always look to automate things to make it easy for myself. I've
written a Lot of scripts. Then I make several backups on different locations
so that I never have to redo something I've done once.

My notes are not at all aimed at blaming you or anyone. I'm simply making the
point that the better tools are the more valuable they are.

--

Bobby