List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] upload profile passwords
From:       Niko Sams <niko.sams () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-01-21 15:27:57

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Sasha Andric <sasha@goldnet.ca> wrote:
> On January 21, 2009 10:23:25 am Niko Sams wrote:
>> as others said, fish won't work.
> Work has to keep going so I am using FTP for now. For some projects not hosted
> on my server I never had any other option.
>
> I spoke with someone on kubuntu IRC and it seems they are aware that their
> quanta package is broken.
>

>> alternatives:
>> - use sshfs
> Never tried this. Would I mount remote filesystem using sshfs and then use
> "file" as the protocol in Quanta's "project upload" dialogue and specify local
> file path as "upload folder"? If that is the case that would work. It would be
> trivial to setup action "after project open" and "after project close" to
> actually mount / unmount remote files.
yes - should be that simple.

>> - put your files in a revision control and update on the server
>> instead of uploading
> I considered this few times but I could not come up with sensible setup. Maybe
> I am making it harder then it is. This is my situation right now. My wife
> (windows user) and me sit in our office and work on projects. We work directly
> on the files on my local server. I access those files over nfs and she accesses
> them with samba. From time to time we cooperate with 3rd parties (windows
> users) who get sftp access to files. When needed, I upload files to their final
> destination using quanta. Often we will work on a same project in a same time.
> I will be doing php stuff and my wife would be working on frontend, so it is
> important that we work in a same file tree so that all of our changes  can be
> immediately viewed in browser. When she asks me to do something that seems
> like simple task and I do not have project opened in quanta I just use joe
> editor to make quick changes.  Additionally I keep some of my php files encoded
> with ioncube, so I have quanta action that automatically creates encoded
> version of php files in folder "base" whenever php file in folder "base_local"
> is saved. When uploading files, quanta knows to upload only changed files from
> "base" folder and it ignores "base_local" folder. So that is it. I do not know
> how to implement this using svn. The biggest problem seems to be that all of
> us have to be working using the same set of files using different methods to
> access them.
I can recommand this method.
Imho even for a single developer a svn server helps. If more than one
are working
on a project even more. (files several people want to work at at the sime time,
debug output shown to all users)
When using svn every user has it's own working copy. you can have that on the
central server or on your local machine.

when you use svn you can create yourself a go-online script that does everything
(encoding files etc)

Niko