List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta Crashes
From:       Andrew Lowe <andrew.lowe () manildra ! com ! au>
Date:       2008-10-25 21:51:22

Susan Penter wrote:
> what exactly do you mean "crashes Ubuntu"?
> what protocol does the upload site use, and does it work in konqueror?
>
> 1) the screen goes black shows some text and then I get my login window.

As Niko said, an application can not crash your window manager/desktop
environment - it sounds like a bug with that...
> 2) The site uses FTP and the same settings work fine in both filezilla
> or Kompozer. I do not use Konqueror I have Ubuntu and use Firefox.

The reason Konqueror is suggested is because KDE applications all use
KIO slaves to do work with files, this way we can be transparently
working over ftp, sftp, ssh (fish), http, or local files, without the
application having to write its own protocol handler.  If ftp works in
Konqueror, and not in Quanta, then there is something wrong with the way
Quanta is handling the kio slave, else if they both crash, then it would
be a bug with the kio slave.  You could try Kate or kwrite or any other
kde application that supports your protocol, just to test this
functionality.
And Konqueror is a most excellent advanced file manager that can work on
remote files just as well as local, not just a browser...
> I have several sites set up now to upload but I can't trust the upload
> to web button at all, occasionally it has given me the menu so I can
> choose the pages and then it uploads quickly like a dream however
> yesterday it crashed - see above and then I opened Quanta and tried
> again and it crashed again.  It is a bit of a pain but I'm having to
> do the work in Qunata and then go across to Filezilla  to upload it -
> unless there is a bug fix I do not have the time to keep re loging in
> and having to open all my software each time.

To check if it is a problem with a config file, you could try to rename
the quanta config file from ~/.kde/share/config/quantarc - it contains
all the settings changes for quanta.  Re-naming lets you copy it back if
need be.
You might also want to re-create the project, as it could be a setting
in there causing problems...
But I do think it is unrelated to Quanta, because your desktop
environment should not crash, due to an application playing up

Also provide version number of Quanta and KDE - in Quanta, go to
help->about and post the Quanta and KDE versions

Andrew Lowe