List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Off to the conference soon to work on Quanta
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2008-07-31 20:47:46

Hi All,
This is to let our list members know that Andras and I will be meeting up on
August 8th in Brussells and taking the train to Mechelen for the annual KDE
developers conference. During this time we will be able to focus on Quanta
and Kommander as well as talk with the Kdevelop team about the shared
platform. There are some issues with getting a KDE4 release of Quanta out.
Andras and I hope to have a good handle on it in a week as well as some code
written. Next on the agenda will be to sponsor a new developer as Andras has
not had a lot of time for the project since leaving his sponsored position.

One interesting thing in KDE4 is the new Webkit module in Qt. Effectively what
it does is opens the door for a vastly easier graphical web page development
mode. Additionally I plan on using improvements in Kommander to facilitate a
new scriptable object template mode. Think of it as a means to describe your
programming model to an automation system that enables you to work with your
project on a conceptual model level. You could change something in one place
and have it replicate correctly through your defined rule sets. There are
other fun things I have wanted to do and this is the first time I've really
had the chance to do something dramatic since the early days. The KDE4
version may be a wait, but it won't be a warmed over slightly improved
version as it has been in the past. Don't get me wrong, Quanta is great, but
I want to retain it's attributes while adding dynamic improvements and
maturity.

As I am coming from the US I get to enjoy that it takes $1.57 now to make 1
Euro. Isn't that fun? If anyone would like to contribute to our expenses at
the conference feel free.

http://kdewebdev.org/donate.php
--
Eric Laffoon