List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] katepart for code completion?
From:       "Niko Sams" <niko.sams () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-07-16 5:06:22

> I'm curious Niko (it's a long time since I coded anything other than
> Javascript, PHP or markup) but I thought that Quanta built on the katepart
> for code completion, syntax highlighting and the like. Does KDE4 allow
> similar "parts" to be used. Surely the work of code completion has been
> performed elsewhere already? Or did you just want to do this work again? I
> know someone has to be first. Just curious.
For the code completion much code is shared with KDevelop (kdevplatform). To get
good support for OO Php Quanta needs to know as much as possible about the code.
What classes exist, what methods/variables they have, the types of the
declared variables,
where a class is used and so on.
Supporting the built-in global php-functions is pretty easy (as they
are global) - but OO makes
thinks a bit more difficult. Especially as Php is a dynamic typed
langauge it can't be done at all
in many cases.
And exactly that I'm working on: Parsing Php and creating a
Definition-Use-Chain out of it - which
will in turn be used by kdevplatfrom for all those features like
class-tree, code completion, quickopen,
refactoring (someday).

Niko