List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta and xhtml
From:       Andrew Wigglesworth <ecadre () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2008-07-08 16:14:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 08 July 2008 15:50:17 John Culleton wrote:
> Many books now tout xhtml and css in combination as the web design
> formats of the future.  However at first glance Q+ is still oriented
> to html.  The templates that "come with" are all html oriented.
>
> I wonder if anyone would care to cmment on the plans for Q+ with
> respect to xhtml?

If books are touting XHTML as *the* future of the web then, sorry, they are
just plain wrong.

It is perfectly possible to write documents in XHTML in Quanta+ and it is well
supported. I'm not sure what you're getting at?  Maybe you need to take a
second glance :-)

Personally, I do not use XHTML, I use HTML 4.01 strict.  Basically, if you're
using to XHTML 1.0 simply to render HTML elements and then sending it as
text/html, you'd be better off using HTML 4.01 strict. What I write would
pass as XHTML 1.0 strict with a very few teaks such as the /> closing of
tags.

XHTML 1.1 of course cannot be sent as text/html.

If you understand the correct use of XHTML (and I along with many people are
pretty shaky on this) and need to use it, then of course go ahead.  However,
I think there is a lot of misunderstanding around the issue with people
getting the impression that XHTML is the new and future proof replacement for
HTML.  It isn't, it's simply another tool.

Remember also that HTML 5 is on it's way:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/

--
Andrew