List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] encouragement
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2008-05-19 20:11:45

On Monday 19 May 2008 7:53:59 am scobenson@gmail.com wrote:
> Just a quick note to say Thanks! to Eric and the other folks who have
> given us Quanta and keep working to make it what it is - a very solid
> and powerful editor/tool.

Thank you.

> I've noticed some comments through the mailing list that make me wonder
> how much the person tries to solve an "issue" with Quanta before they
> complain  - and Eric has patiently responded with constructive
> suggestions rather than silence, or anything scathing.

It's an irony of human nature that we assume our experince is universal. Note
that we used to think the universe revolved around the earth. Unfortunately
we also like to oversimplify complex systems and attribute cause and effect
to the realm of magic... Actually I could answser questions more patiently
but I can't help but think that irrational processes may not always be
benign. There is an old saying that pure democracy is tyranny, meaning
effectively that irrational mobs are dangerous... I would hope my perhaps
eccentric bias for objective thinking might produce some side benefits...

One thing I do have to say though is that what bothers me most is that people
could be experiencing real and reproducable issues that don't show up in our
testing and would actually assume we knew and didn't care. I've seen internet
discussions with absurd assumptions and gross errors about Quanta and when it
is as easy as sending me an email I am not included, much as reviewers never
seem to write and ask questions prior to writing a review. The benefit of
community software is community, but unfortunately for most people it is
merely consumption without cost and a side benefit of claiming to be in a
community which their sole contribution is speculating wildly and spreading
misinformation. Less than 1% of the user base of free software make things
happen and for me being in that comparitively small group is about my belief
in the need for free software to succeed and individuals to be empowered.

> I've recently been learning Ruby and Ruby on Rails and so I tried a few
> different editors/IDE's out to see what they could do.  Although Quanta
> doesn't have many Ruby on Rails bells and whistles I'm not leaving it -
> it's just to good to give up.  (The fact is, that Quanta could handle
> Ruby and Rails more dynamically if there were people ready to give some
> time to make it happen.  Unfortunately, I don't know enough to lend a
> hand at it.)

Ruby on Rails is supported on KDevelop, but it lacks a lot of support for web
work Quanta has. Quanta4 will support Ruby on Rails much better because it
will be integrated on the KDevelop platform and will enable tools from both
environments.

> I'm certain that I only use a fraction of Quanta, due to my limitations,
> not Quanta's.
>
> So, cheers to Eric and Andras.

Thank you. Developer and financial support is also appreciated.

--
Eric Laffoon
Project Lead - kdewebdev module