List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Kommander news and fund raising
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2008-02-26 23:21:05

On Tuesday 26 February 2008 3:01:14 pm Andrew Lowe wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:17:25 Eric Laffoon wrote:
> > >
> > > Um, why not just copy the code for lftp's -mirror function into Quanta?
> > > Or even the rsync algorithm? That, with a quick kommander dialog for
> > > settings, should do the trick without neding a php script on the
> > > server.
> >
> > It's fairly easy to do this with the HTTP plugin, and possibly it could
> > also be done with a remote ssh shell, though I'd have to ponder how to do
> > it. Anyway the idea is to have something useful for more than just one
> > protocol. Using the PHP backend it would not matter what your protocol
> > was as long as you had PHP on your server, which almost everyone does.
> > It's not perfect, but it's my best idea so far.
>
> I am not sure that I am following correctly.
>
> I would hope that you are not suggesting to upload projects to the
> production server via HTTP using PHP.  PHP, and therefore Apache would need
> write permissions to the project which would introduce a major security
> risk...

Actually I'm suggesting using a password protected area and HTTPS. Anything
else would be nightmarish as you would be exposing yourself to all kinds of
evil.

> The other option I could see this as is a PHP script on the server
> listening on a specific port, again a potential security risk - unless bugs
> are really kept fixed regularly.

To me it's academic as it would be up to the user to implement their security
features and place the file. If done right it's vastly more secure than FTP
and if done wrong... It seems any convenience can offer a downside of
disaster.

> Using Rsync would be good option - it is what I tend to use for backups and
> stuff, and works over ftp, sftp, ssh, and other protocols - just using the
> command line.  For project synchronizing I tend to check my local project
> into SVN and then update/check-out from the production machine (and the
> opposite for those changes done on the production machine) for - works well
> with PHP code (no compiling) - also make sure that .svn folders are
> forbidden in Apache.

I use rsync with Gentoo. I should look at it and see how suitable it might be
to make a plugin with.

> It would be good to understand what method you are suggesting....

Actually I'm looking for suggestions. All my preferred ways to accomplish this
seem not to be working and my alternate choices are currently under
investigation. In any case I want to come up with something that is easy for
me to impliment within Kommander, which I'm quite fast with, and make
available as a plugin.

--
Eric Laffoon
Project Lead - kdewebdev module