List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Kommander news and fund raising
From:       "Mark A. Taff" <marktaff () comcast ! net>
Date:       2008-02-26 22:45:43

On Tuesday 26 February 2008 14:17:25 Eric Laffoon wrote:
> I'm assuming both of these functions automate, but one argument against an
> FTP function is what if you have shut down FTP on your sever for security
> reasons. Ideally I would use KIO to match what is in the project, but I'm
> not sure we exposed this in QuantaIf for number one, and I need to plug it
> into something like a KDE file widget for number two... That means possibly
> patching Quanta and and creating a new plugin widget. Also anything that
> automates syncronization removes my ability to offer a "de-cruft" option to
> clean up the site, as well as manually select what you want to bring down.
> There may be settings files you don't want download. It's possible a
> project manager may want to protect and categorize too, which is not
> possible without control.
>
> It's fairly easy to do this with the HTTP plugin, and possibly it could
> also be done with a remote ssh shell, though I'd have to ponder how to do
> it. Anyway the idea is to have something useful for more than just one
> protocol. Using the PHP backend it would not matter what your protocol was
> as long as you had PHP on your server, which almost everyone does. It's not
> perfect, but it's my best idea so far.

What I meant was to say was to literally copy the source code for the rsync
algorithm from either rsync or lftp.  Then use the KIO-slave spec'd in the
project to handle the connection between the client and the server.

Both rsync and lftp allow for tree-trimming.  Quanta could handle it by using
a .cvsignore file.  In fact, there could be multiple files.
Think 'de-cruft.cvsignore' or 'default.cvsignore'
or 'myprojectcustom.cvsignore'.  That would be quite useful, especially if
you could cascade them, much like CSS, or even just include them.

The rsync algorithm is beautifully bandwidth friendly, which would be quite
handy for larger projects.  My own website for example, has over 1GiB of
photos on it.

So, server <==> KIO <==> .cvsignore filters <==> rsync algorithm <==> client

> Best of luck to you. You've been a solid supporter over the years and I'd
> like to think someone of your character would be in demand by astute
> employers.

Thanks Eric.  I'm going to college full-time now for aerospace engineering.
It may be some time before I can give money again, but I plan to help out
with code as time permits.

The first itch to scratch would be type-ahead-filter for the projects & files
panes.  That would really make my life easier.

Regards,

Mark