Borge,

According to the company I host with, it was several thousand connections from my username which brought down the server that hosted about 900 odd domains. Needless to say, I wasn't very popular :(

I'll ask the sysadmin to scan the authlogs (or other logs) or even better send them to me so that I can analyze it...

Thanks for the help,

Dawid

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 23:06 +0100, Børge Holen wrote:
On Thursday 06 December 2007 22:04:20 Dawid van Wyngaard wrote:
> Hiya!
>
> I currently running Ubuntu 7.10 with Quanta Plus 3.5.7. The problem I
> have:
>
> When I try to connect to server(RHEL) via SSH, I get several thousand
> logins within a few minutes to the server which in turn brings the
> server to its knees!

you get several thousand logins in a matter of minutes?
Due to the KIO several logins is inevitable, but I don't think its possible
to ... lets say 3000 logins on 3 minutes, the server would for sure stumble,
but so would your computer, you sure your data is correct?
It's like 16 connections a sec...
more like one connection per file, and quite a few files I must add ;D
Whatever it is, its not Q' fault ( can it be?). Q is using the KIO backend for
connecting.

> Any suggestions?

If you're not experiensing any showstoppers on the client side, I would read
throught the authlogs to so whats going on with the server... Of course if
the authlogs really is growing 2megs in matter of hours, somethings really
fishy. Or you got a couple of thousand users trying to access the server
fairly often ;D