List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] New File from Template Question
From:       Mike Civil <mike () duncodin ! org>
Date:       2007-11-26 12:09:02

Hi All,

This is a basic question regarding template use which I can't find an
answer for in the docs/Wiki.

Normally when I'd like to create a html document from a template I'll
be somewhere deep in the project structure and the action I'd like to
take is:-

- right-click on a directory
- start a "create new file from template" dialogue
- navigate in the dialogue to a template and select it
- give file new name
- carry on editing new file

However Quanta seems to want me to :-

- switch to template view
- navigate to the template I want
- right-click on the template
- select "New document based on this"
- bring up the file save dialogue which is based from the
  project root
- navigate in that file save dialogue to the place I was already
  at in the project view
- save the file with the new name
- switch back to project view
- carry on editing new file

This is so counter-intuitive and disturbing to work flow that I feel like
I'm missing something really basic somewhere! It's actually quicker
to temporarily open a similar file in project view and copy the
contents into a new file than it is to use a template, which can't be
right.

Can anyone give me a clue (or a pointer to the relevant place in
the docs) to achieve what I want?

Cheers,

Mike