List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Good news, testers required
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-10-04 9:14:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

 I finally found the cause of the 3.5.7 slowness. It was introduced by
some safety checks to avoid crashes in the parser. Unfortunately this
checks made the parser VERY slow, so no wonder people seeing several
seconds delays with some bigger documents.
 I changed the checks, while still keeping them. The result is
impressive, my big test document (700KB, 12000 lines) parses in about
350ms compared to the 3.5.7 version where the same operation took
11-14seconds(!). Switching away from this document to an empty one took
no less than 48-50seconds, while now it is around 60ms.
 Also the checks were not completely correct, so 3.5.7 could still
crash. Now 3.5.8 not only that it should be stable, but it should be
also almost as fast as the previous 3.5.x versions, prior to 3.5.7.
 3.5.8 will be tagged on Sunday, but I ask those who are used to compile
from source to download the latest version from the Subversion
repository[1] and test it. It includes some other fixes as well, and
may include some more as the week progresses. :)

Andras

[1] http://quanta.kdewebdev.org/faq.php#svn_version :
"svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/3.5/kdewebdev"