List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta & kio slaves (kio_ftp)
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-07-25 11:32:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

On Tuesday 24 July 2007, Rémi Lambert wrote:
> When I use Quanta Plus to edit a file on my website, saving the file
> causes multiple instances of kio_ftp to be opened and many
> simultaneous FTP connexions are established between my computer and
> the server. Some servers doesn't like it and blacklisted my IP
> address.

Unfortunately this is how the FTP kioslave works. :( There are several
bug reports regarding this issue, even from 2001...
See http://tinyurl.com/224cy5 for a list of kio_ftp bugs.

> 2) Is there a way to force Quanta to use another way to communicate
> by FTP with the server than the kioslaves ? Would Quanta be able to
> use the bash "ftp" command in a konsole, for instance ?

No, this is not possible as Quanta doesn't even know if the connection
is local, ftp, ssh, sftp or whatever.

Can't you access your web servers via ssh? In that case you might want
to try the sftp or fish protocol instead of ftp.

Andras