List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] kate, as a plugin
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-07-02 9:15:44

On Monday 02 July 2007, Ciprian Zaharie wrote:
> On Monday 02 July 2007 11:53, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > >
> > > I realize that.
> > >
> > > When working on multiple files, small scrapbook area often comes
> > > handy (at least to me).  I use it for temporary TODO list, or I
> > > paste some function in there so I do not have to think which
> > > arguments it takes or just use it as clipboard. Right now I am
> > > using joe editor running in the konsole plugin, but I thought
> > > that katepart would do better.
> >
> > And can't you just create a new tab inside quanta with an empty
> > editor?
>
> I do that... but that isn't available on alt-tab.
>
> That's why i usually use knotes for that... i mean, it was designed
> for that, right?

That's fine. I just didn't understand why someone would like to use an
editor plugin inside quanta. Hm, i think I have an use case: you want
to put the plugin in a toolview, so you have actually two editor
windows visible at the same time. In that case it might make sense, in
all other cases I think it is not.

Ok, so back to the menu issue: the only solution is to create a new
editor part with more simple menus. For this you don't need to code
anything, all you would need to do is to copy libkatepart.so and .la to
a new name, like "libkatepartsimple.so" and .la, do the same for
KDEDIRS/share/apps/katepart (copy as katepartsimple), and edit the
katepartui.rc there, so the menus are removed. This is completely
untested, it might not work in real life, but it worths a try. You
might also need to rename that rc file to katepartsimpleui.rc.

If it doesn't work, the source has to be changed to create a "simple"
katepart.

Andras

PS: Or you can create a really simple editor part plugin. :)