List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Fwd: A consultation on sftp for quanta
From:       Andrew Lowe <andrew.lowe () manildra ! com ! au>
Date:       2007-06-20 22:05:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 20 June 2007 17:21:21 Jens Herden wrote:
> > in KDE, you can access directly to files by typing in konqueror :
> >
> > fish://login:pass@sftp_server/your/dir
>
> ... and I was thinking that you should use:
>
> 	sftp://login:pass@sftp_server/your/dir  ?
>
> I did not know that fish: is doing the same.
>
> Jens

They are different protocols, and you are right he should be using sftp://:
SFTP = SSH File Transfer Protocol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_file_transfer_protocol

From the artical:
"A common misconception is that SFTP is simply FTP run over SSH; in fact it is
a new protocol designed from the ground up by the IETF SECSH working group."

FISH = Files transfered over Shell protocol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Files_transferrer_over_shell_protocol

It is interesting that they are different, however many servers support both -
so one or the other, or both may work...

--
Andrew Lowe
    System Administrator & Programmer

Email:   andrew.lowe@manildra.com.au