List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] plans for kde4 release of quanta
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-06-15 4:55:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 14 June 2007, Vlad Blanton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This message is particularly for Andras.
> I was wondering what the 4.0 release of quanta is going to be like.
> Is quanta being ported to kde4/qt4? Is there anything new to expect
> in the upcoming release?

Well, it is quite different from what we have now - from code base point
of view. We have moved to the soon to be announced kdevelop platform,
meaning that we will have the same plugin interfaces as kdevelop and
will share some plugin code as well (and the main shell code).
Yesterday I just committed a part of the project manager plugin.
 Also we started a new state machine based parser and we hope to have a
better (more accurate) and easier to understand and maintain parser.
Unfortunately as good as it is the current  now it has some strange
errors and it is hard to debug. If you check the bugs.kde.org, the
reports from the past months can be reduced to the same thing: crashing
while typing. :( I know the bug is in the parser code, I spent a lot of
time debugging it, but as it is random, I just had wild guesses where
is the problem, and it seems I still couldn't fix them all.
 New features are not yet planned, the first goal is to have a working
4.0 release with at least the old features. Of course due to the plugin
sharing, we most probably have extra plugins not present in Quanta3,
like integrated Subversion (and Perforce, CVS, etc.) support, find and
replace (not only using KFileReplace), access to other type of
documentation and so on.
 But due tot he delay in KDevelop code (and also in porting Quanta), and
the "rush" to get KDE 4.0 out, we most probably will not follow the KDE
release schedule, at least at the beginning.

Andras