List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta 3.5.5 documentation sidebar query
From:       Andrew Lowe <andrew.lowe () manildra ! com ! au>
Date:       2007-04-20 21:26:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 20 April 2007 23:05:58 Andras Mantia wrote:
> > On Friday 20 April 2007 15:33:03 Andras Mantia wrote:
> >
> > It probably would... Kubuntu does not really have a 'root' account
> > available
> > (unless you set the password)...
>
> I know and the first thing I do on Kubuntu systems is "sudo passwd". ;)
I've been trying to avoid that on this system.... but I have done that in the
past.... I have found that running "sudo sh" works when you need to do a bit
as root... and Kubuntu seems to have gotten easier to run without root...

> > I would have thought that Quanta would check for duplicates
>
> I'm not at home to check the code, but I see no real benefit of checking
> for duplicates in this case (in case of other resources as DTEPs, there is
> a duplicate check as without that it would be a mess there).
This does make sense

> > installing as root (or sudo) should install in the same place,
> > over-riding the default, so perhaps Kubuntu have moved the default
> > locations?
>
> Again, this was just an idea that it might install there if it has write
> access (running as root), but without the code this is just an assumption.
> I know I wrote that code, but it was long time ago and I don't remember.

It writes it to /root/.kde/share/apps/quanta - I just checked where the files
were.
> :)
> :
> > It does not really worry me, but I'll mention it on the Kubuntu bug
> > system...
>
> The base problem is indeed Kubuntu: they install a broken documentation
> system for help. What they should do is either:
> 1) fix the dependencies and install the missing documentations. How do
> they do it is their problem.
> 2) remove the documentations completely and allow the users to download
> via hotstuff. This way at least there won't be duplicate items.
>
> Of course, 1) is the preferred.
Definitely...

> Until that I suggest to every Kubuntu user to remove the
> /usr/share/apps/quanta/docs (where Kubuntu installs the default docs) and
> download the documentation via hotstuff. This way they will have the docs
> and there will be no stale entries.

I will update the bug report with your suggestions

--
Andrew Lowe
    System Administrator & Programmer

Email:   andrew.lowe@manildra.com.au