List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Help with Quanta+ code
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-04-15 6:59:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

On Saturday 14 April 2007, Munawar Hafiz wrote:
> I need some help understanding the Quanta+ codebase. In particular I
> have three questions.
>
> 1. Does the C/C++ code use the string library functions (strcpy,
> strcat, gets etc)?

No, they are generally avoided in favor of the QString class, which is
safer, easier to use and works with unicode internally.

> 2. Or does it use some sort of buffer bounds checking, either by
> rewriting the string library, or checking before every buffer
> operation?

See above.

> 3. Is the bounds checking available from the first release, or it has
> been included in a subsequent release? How did the development team
> go about making this change in the code?

QString was there since always, provided by the Qt library.
Generally when coding in C++ using the Qt and KDE libraries you don't
really have to think about boundary checking. Sure, there are cases
when it's not a good idea to access the n+1'd element of an array, but
this usually doesn't result in memory corruption, only in an error from
the framework (or in certain cases the n+1 element is added to the
array).
For strings there are only a few cases when you have to think about the
length of the string.

Andras