On our Windows servers, I have to specify the root directory in Quanta,
because something with the automatic directory change doesn't work
properly.

So, try to login with ftp://username@server.domain/username
This is what worked for me...
Besides, is there a "native" KDE ftp tool available? kbear semms to be
unattended and I'm currently using a Firefox FTP extension.

Guido