List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta Documentation: English
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-02-02 21:28:51

On Friday 02 February 2007 10:17 am, Paul Lemmons wrote:
> We developers should never write end user documentation. Even when the
> audience is other developers. We all suffer from the "It is intuitively
> obvious by simple observation" syndrome.&nbsp; There is a completely
> different skill set used in writing documentation. Documentation should
> be written by those than have the skill to do it. Our role in
> documentation is to simply complain about it :)<br>

First of all I find it difficult to follow someone I don't know posting on the
list using HTML claiming to be a developer. I'm just not buying this up
front, or I didn't see your commits. Having said that...

The primary reasons developers should not write documentation are as follows.
1) Good documentation is very time consuming. That is a great deal of time
taken away from development. Good development is time consuming and we are
already short on resources there.

2) A developer writing documentation can go by what they remember and how
things were intended to work. Someone else has to go through a process of
exploration based upon thumbnail information from developers. In this process
there is also exploration and enhanced confirmation of operation as well as
feedback to the developer. This can uncover critical bugs and UI issues.

3) While there are different skill sets for developing and writing
documentation it is less an issue than the excellence you can bring to the
table with a single focus and applicable perspective. Developers may consider
some less than intuitive aspects to be fundamental givens. We can also feel
very inadequate trying to reframe our point of reference.

The final reason is that Quanta it's self is the best free tool to write
documentation. There are a great many users who could easily take this on.
You're getting free software that we are actually spending money to make and
time to manage and service. Why not feel good about bringing your skills to
the party? If you don't think you know the application good enough then
consider after you write the docs interacting with the developers you will
then. What a deal! ;-)
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org