List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta failing to configure and install on Mandriva
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-11-12 13:42:55

On Saturday 11 November 2006 10:47 am, Diabolus wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a Mandriva 2007 user, which means I'm a very naif Linux user and that
> you have to bear with me ;-).
>
> I started to use Quanta as supplied in Mandrake 10.1 (I use it for my
> personal webpage, nothing special), but, to my disappointment, Quanta is
> not included in Mandriva 2007 (I skipped Mandriva 2006). I then downloaded
> Quanta and tried to install it, but it didn't pass the "configure" step
> because:
>
> checking for libxslt libraries >= ... ./configure: line 34352: xslt-config:
> command not found ./configure: line 34353: test: : integer expression
> expected
> configure: error: You need at least libxslt  for this version of xsldbg
>
> Now, I tried to locate and install libxslt via urpmi, but urpmi kindly
> informed me that it found three files containing libxslt (namely libxslt1,
> libxslt-proc and libxslt1-devel) and that all three are already installed.
> I also tried to make and make install anyway... stupid me, obviously.
>
> Guys, I'm stuck: any good soul knowing how to get out of this mud? Thanks
> in advance.

Here's the problem. When building a program you need to reference the *.h
header files from programs you will link to so you can have the prototype for
those calls. Those header files are in all the source packages as they are
essential to build those programs. They take up 76M on my system with
everything under the sun on it and built from source... So you can see why
your several GB install needed to trim down to fit on your 100 GB disk, NOT.
Sorry this practice was started by Red Hat and copied by all RPM distros and
since it makes no sense to save the space of a few dozen digital photos the
only explanation is that people like you will give up and just run the
approved RPMs... I call it passive lock in because you're not quite to open
source yet, just approved binaries.

Speaking of which there most certainly is an RPM available. There is no way a
program this popular that is part of the main packages doesn't have one. If
you can't find it try http://rpmfind.net. Don't forget that RPM sucks! You
have to match your distro and exact release number or installing it could be
a failure, if not a disaster.

If you want to build from source, which I did so much I gave up on RPMs and
went for a source based distro, then you need to find the "-dev" RPMs for
every package it says is missing. It's funny nobody has made the configure
message more helpful. Maybe they hoped distributions might someday develop a
sane attitude toward users building from source.

I suggest you complain to Mandriva for not making Quanta part of the base
packages, if not for continuing the stupid practice of extracting header
files during RPM packaging.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org