List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] diff/patch over ftp?
From:       "Anthony Ettinger" <anthony () chovy ! com>
Date:       2006-09-15 18:42:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I noticed gftp has a "Compare Windows" feature under Tools. This highlights
the differences in file sizes. which is a quick way of knowing which files
have changed.

On 9/15/06, Mark A. Taff <marktaff@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Friday 15 September 2006 10:51, Anthony Ettinger wrote:
> > I have a project that requires me to use ftp. Is there a way to see a
> diff
> > between files prior to uploading and downloading them?
>
> Not really.  The data from the two files has to get to the same place
> first.
> The closest you can get is the rsync algorithm, which will transfer only
> the
> changed portions.
>
> The command line program lftp has a built in mirror command that uses said
> algorithm. I use it in a script to maintain a mirror and dated backups of
> all
> my live sites.
>
> HTH
>
> Mark

Anthony Ettinger
phone: 408-656-2473
resume: http://chovy.dyndns.org/resume.html
Currently available for freelance projects
blog: http://www.chovy.com