List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta Has Become Very Slow to Respond
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-08-06 20:13:57

On Sunday 06 August 2006 12:39 pm, Robert Tilley wrote:
> Quanta has become very slow to respond at times.  Typing a simple word or
> sentence can last for minutes at time.  Press a key, wait, wait, wait, it
> appears on screen.
>
> I've deleted some files from my project (just in case this helps) and
> nothing helps.
>
> Any ideas would help as my insight is now blind,
>
> Bob
Quanta is pretty much always very responsive. There are a number of situations
however that could affect it and it's very hard to say what it is. Here are
some possiblities.

1) System memory full - check your system information for swap and memory
usage. If this is the case it likely means Quanta isn't the only thing that's
full but it could be the worst if it's asking for more memory. If you are
running a program that leaks a lot, like maybe opening gimp a lot for large
files, you could have unreclaimed memory eat up everything.
2) Lots of large files open - it's hard to say what it would take, but it is
possible to have some really huge files eat memory.
3) Previously undetected parsing bug/really bad code - This hasn't been
reported for some time so it seems unlikely. If the parser is trying to get
through something and it has real problems, either from really bad errors or
some previously undetected structural flaw, it can slow things down. For
instance one revision of the parser code left it where long PHP elseif chains
(10 or more) could begin to slow things down. We hadn't detected it because
we always use switch statements for that many conditions.
4) Old garbaged temporary files - These can be a problem with any application
especially if you just upgraded and it's trying to set conflicting internal
settings.

For us to be any help you need to isolate whether this is a file causing the
problem, system issue or what. If it's a file being open that slows things
down you can send it to Andras for examination and testing. If it's your
system, you know what to do. If it's something else we need more information.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org