List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Javascript editing wierdness
From:       David Aldred <nr () familyaldred ! org ! uk>
Date:       2006-07-19 21:36:11

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 21:33, Børge Holen wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 July 2006 22:12, David Aldred wrote:

> > After editing the Javascript in Quanta, the system worked fine on Firefox
> > (Windows or Linux), but broke Internet Explorer.   No surprise that MSIE
> > was the one that broke, but an annoyance given that the majority of users
> > will still be MSIE lusers.

> > Any ideas, anyone?
>
> Yes, make one the works and one that doesn't. check the diff

Heh.  Good idea, thanks, tried that.  Then tried it again, piping the result
to a hex editor, since the diff output didn't seem (on screen) to show any
differences!  The differences become clear in hex.

What has happened is that the original Javascript, in cleaning up character
input, is replacing certain non-standard characters with standard
equivalents, using a regexp replace.  Quanta (as presumably Kate) drops these
characters from the regexp when writing the file, presumably leading to the
Javascript not parsing correctly (as far as IE is concerned: I'm not sure
what Firefox has actually made of the 'amended' regexp!).

Can this be sorted out by using a different character set?  The chartacters in
question lie in the range 0x91 to 0x96, and appear to be characters used by
MS Word for things like a long dash and open/close quotes.

--
David Aldred