List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Is Quanta the right tool for me?
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-19 19:56:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 19:13, Thibaut Cousin wrote:
> About your suggestion to develop something to interface Quanta with
> MySQL... What kind of tool would that require? Writing a kio_slave in
> C++? Just DCOP or D-BUS calls?

I suggest to use a script language you know which can access a MySQL
database and using DCOP. See my other mail.

>   Basically, it could only:
>
> 1) connect to the database across the network and read its structure,
> 2a) read an entry in the database (containing HTML/PHP code),  send
> the code to Quanta's editor, write (during save) the content of the
> editor to the database instead of a file,

Instead of event actions, you could do the above in a way I just
described in the other mail. Click on the icon->action executed->script
gets the data and puts in the editor->you edit->click on another
icon->another action is executed->scripts gets the current content and
puts in the database. If the two scripts share the same config file,
the second one could reuse the access data and simply put back from
where it was taken.

> 2b) create a new entry in the database,
> 2c) delete an entry from the database,
> 3) close the database.

Same as above.

> 4) A fine point would be to have preview working in this situation,
> which would probably be harder that it looks.

Same as above, altough it would be an external preview. Write a script
which executes Konqueror/Mozilla/whatever with the right arguments to
preview your site. Direct preview in Quanta would not be possible.

>   Do I miss something important here? The problem is that I'm green
> at almost everything here, except HTML. ;-)

Well, you can learn. ;-)

Andras