List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Is Quanta the right tool for me?
From:       Thibaut Cousin <cousin () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-19 16:13:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Le mercredi 19 juillet 2006 17:52, Andras Mantia a écrit :
> > At the moment, when I want add or update data to the database, I
> > either use mysql shell (which means opening a SSH session on the
> > server), of phpMyAdmin.
>
> Just a thought: if you have PHP code in the database you could:
> - open the data in phpMyAdmin
> - copy/paste into Quanta and work there
> - copy/paste back to the database when you want.
>
> Basicly you would use Quanta as the editor, and at least you will have
> access to autocompletion and context help.

  That's the best possibility so far. I'll probably end up doing just that. I
admit after all this time benefiting from Quanta's great editing features, it
would be hard to drop down to some ordinary text editor... :-)

  About your suggestion to develop something to interface Quanta with MySQL...
What kind of tool would that require? Writing a kio_slave in C++? Just DCOP
or D-BUS calls?
  Basically, it could only:

1) connect to the database across the network and read its structure,
2a) read an entry in the database (containing HTML/PHP code),  send the code
to Quanta's editor, write (during save) the content of the editor to the
database instead of a file,
2b) create a new entry in the database,
2c) delete an entry from the database,
3) close the database.
4) A fine point would be to have preview working in this situation, which
would probably be harder that it looks.

  Do I miss something important here? The problem is that I'm green at almost
everything here, except HTML. ;-)
  Regards,

--
Thibaut Cousin