List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] different web site root
From:       Xavier Brochard <xavier () alternatif ! org>
Date:       2006-07-04 14:12:17

Hello Eric

thanks a lot for the long answer

Le mardi 4 juillet 2006 08:11, Eric Laffoon a écrit :
> This is confusing to me. We try to be as flexible as possible, but it is
> inevitable that some conventions must be used to create some degree of
> structure. Otherwise everything is a mess.

I agree. Quanta is very flexible. It can be even better :-)

> Our upload facility uploads to a mirror image of your local structure.
> Otherwise you would have to make per
> directory or per file destination assignments and propagate them... which
> is just ugly.

Agree. But it's the same situation for the special case I described.

> Typically server accounts grant access below the document
> root which is logically the project root.

This is good if you are creating the web site. But not if you are working to
change some pages on a big old web site with a bunch of graphic files with
confusing names..... :-) Joking, but it's really different to work on an
already created web site, with limited access.

(...)
> > I can't upload with quanta because if the document root is below the
> > project root on the local hard drive, that document root will be below
> > the document root on the web site (because the doument root is also the
> > ftp root.). Let me explain. See diagram below:
>
> Exactly. See above. What would you like us to do that wouldn't be hideously
> over-complicated?

It will help if we could assign a local root directory for each upload
profiles (like in ftp clients). It's not a complicated solution and it could
be a real improvement when working on very big website (in this case the
upload dialog is slow because Quanta has to verify a
bunch of files). If you setup a profile with the appropriate local "root
upload directory", Quanta will need to verify only files in that directory.
And you can work with different profiles assign to different "root upload
directory". Just like in all ftp clients.

> There are upload managers that may handle this, but it
> all comes down to how complicated you want things to be. You can also write
> scripts to shuffle files on upload (believe it or not) with Quanta's
> Project Event Actions, but we only offer this for the truly massochistic.
> ;-)

It's ok I'm this sort of guy!
What is it? I didn't found doc about it.